RE: [leafnode-list] Will 2.x address these issues?

OK, that's different. I don't know if this will work but you could
try going into /var/spool/news/leaf.node and creating a groupinfo
file that had just the groups of interest, then setting it read-only.

Presumably fetchnews would run and be unable to update this file with
the new groups - I don't know if it would blow up or not though.

Ted