Re: [leafnode-list] Will 2.x address these issues?

On Thursday 06 December 2001 13:28, Support wrote:

> What about just setting up a cronjob to e-mail you a ls listing of
> /var/spool/news/interesting.groups weekly?
>
> If any of them open up a porno group, it's going to create a file in
> there and your going to see it.

The problem is, some of the newsgroup NAMES are pretty rough, too.  For
example, my ISP's news server (which I use as my feed) carries 37 groups with
the word "f**k" in the group name.  Not suitable viewing for a 12-year old...

> Let me tell you one other thing about blocking to keep in mind, the
> people that like posting porno have a vested interest in getting around
> blocks - which is why there's so many variations of the established
> porno groups. :-(  I mean, what blocking can you set up that's going to
> stop a new newgroup created with the name of
> alt.chike.doit.to.me.good.baby?

That's very true.  However, what I am aiming to do is give the kids access
ONLY to groups specified by me.  So, if a new group were created, it would
still not show up in the listings unless I specifically added it, similar to
the way it can be done in nntpcache.

Regards,
Ozz.