[leafnode-list] OT: PINE alternatives (was: Leafnode and Pine?)

"John A. Perry" <perry@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 	Since you seem to have no love for Pine, I was just curious,
> what's your favorite newsreader and email app? I'm always looking for
> something better.

Not at all. The PINE maintainers have exhibited blatant ignorance of
security relevance ("huh, we don't fix this exploit, it's not in root
mode" -- in IMAPD, Mark Crispin on Bugtraq), and the track of PINE bugs
is long and bloody. That software is an unmaintainable and
unconfigurable piece of crap.

Of course, you're free to choose, but I've dropped PINE long ago, it was
too crappy with no visible development efforts and a lot of features
lacking at that time.

My favourite mailer has been mutt ever since, my newsreader is Gnus (w/
Emacs). I like Roland Rosenfeld's .muttrc and keybind, it's a thorough,
well-documented and well-structured kick start. Gnus speaks for
itself.

Other people might prefer Sylpheed or Balsa as mailer and Pan or slrn or
tin as newsreader. (Gnus can also be a mailer, but it does not yet
support PGP/MIME integration which bites too bad for mail.)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin