Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode, expiring a news group and rtin.

Shaul Karl <shaulka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Just to verify that I understand what is going on:
> leafnode (as a generic name for fetchnews, texpire and the others
> parts) finds out that comp.os.linux.hardware has not been read for
> sometime, and there fore it:
>     (1) deleted all the articles that was on the local disk.

True. They have expired as per your expire settings.

>     (2) removed comp.os.linux.hardware from the interesting.group dir.

True.

>     (3) has made the leftmost number in the relevant entry of the groupinfo
>         file less then the one to its right (637 < 638)

True, that's its marker for "empty group".

> Back to my question and problem:
> Now rtin reports that this group has
>     *** No articles ***
> and wouldn't let me into this group articles screen.

Now, that becomes a problem, at least for tin (which version do you
use). Please try:

telnet localhost 119
group comp.os.linux.hardware

It SHOULD report:

211 1 1 1 comp.os.linux.hardware group selected (pseudo article)

then, enter QUIT.

If you got that 211 1 1 1 line: What happens if you quit rtin, edit
newsrc with your favourite TEXT editor and change:

comp.os.linux.hardware: whatever-637

comp.os.linux.hardware:

save the .newsrc and restart rtin? It should report the pseudo article
again, at least if you press "r" (`toggle all/unread').

It may be cause for further discussion to determine how rtin should
behave, I think it should cope with servers that reset their
counters. OTOH, they might argue that it's a bad idea if the server
changed its counters, but that can happen with INN as well, so I think
the code belongs into tin rather than leafnode.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin