Re: [leafnode-list] having problems with texpire

"John A. Perry" <perry@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 	I've been running leafnodee-2.0b8_ma7.5pre without any problems.
> Today I come in and see that when texpire runs, it abends with the
> following message:
>
> reading /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo and /etc/leafnode/local.groups
> texpire 2.0b8_ma7.5pre: check mtime and atime
> Checking if there are local posts sitting in the queue...
> found 0 articles in in.coming.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I'm sorry that it crashes on you. May I ask for your help in finding the
bug?

> 	Is there anything I can do to investigate further? Can I turn on
> some sort of debugging to see what's happening?

Yes, you can help:

First, reconfigure leafnode it after setting CFLAGS to include "-ggdb":

env CFLAGS="-ggdb -O" ./configure --YOUR-OPTIONS-HERE

Then, install it.

Please run texpire with -vvvvv -D 2040. If you have
gdb around, do:

gdb /usr/local/sbin/texpire   # adjust the path if necessary

In GDB:
run -vvvvv -D 2040
(wait until it crashes)
backtrace

and send me the output of the backtrace please as well as the last few
lines before the crash (they should also be in your syslog). Please also
send me your configuration AFTER YOU HAVE OVERWRITTEN USER NAMES AND
PASSWORDS, and your filters file unless it contains private data.

> 	Also, can I just use the texpire binary from leafnode-1.9.19 or
> will it not work?

leafnode 1.9 has no notion of local groups, has a different filter
format, so I presume it will not work properly.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin