Re: [leafnode-list] Cannot allocate memory?

Matthias Andree wrote:

> jom1@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> /.../
> > Of course if you start in a cron job fetchnews and texpire at *exactly* the
> > same time, you may encounter some problems... but this is your
> > responsibility.
>
> Say they each start at different time. Can you guarantee fetchnews has
> completed when texpire is supposed to start? I cannot.

I agree, but in this case texpire will stop with the message:
"lockfile /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck exists, abort ..."
.. and also fetchnews (in this case) is *not* affected.

> Fixing the lock function to be reliable is no magic and no luxury
> either. The bugfix is there and there is no reason not to apply it, but
> you choose, it's your system.
>
> > I am missing something else ?
>
> Maybe I'm also missing something here.
>
> > P.S.
> > applyfilter also need the task locking for this task must not run
> > concurrently with fetchnews or texpire, but the groupinfo file should not be
> > modified: this is absolutely useless and also a waste of time.
>
> Excuse me? If applyfilter discards the article with the lowest number(s)
> in that particular group, so the low water mark may have to be adjusted
> -- that would mean touching groupinfo.

The low water mark is for me useless... :-)
(texpire should correct that anyway if you need the exact low water mark).