Re: [leafnode-list] Cannot allocate memory?

jom1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Matthias Andree wrote:
> >
> > /.../
> > Of course, upgrading leafnode was evidently not the cure, as Andrey has
> > reported in private mail, but updating from 1.9.18 to 1.9.19 with the
> > locking fix patch fixes one very important bug that might corrupt
> > leafnode's groupinfo file otherwise, so that's not been in vain.
>
> I don't understand why locking is absolutely necessary.
> I am speaking for the 1.9.19 version.
>
> Only "fetchnews" (and "texpire") modify the groupinfo file...
> Also only one instance of fetchnews or texpire should be active at a given
> time.

And that is exactly what locking is needed for - to ensure that only
either fetchnews or texpire or applyfilter (which also modifies the
groupinfo file) is running.

In the 2.0b the nntpd also modifies the groupinfo file to make local
postings possible. Therefore correct locking is even more important
there.

External programs can always ignore a lock. I don't think mandatory
locking is possible on Linux.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */