Re: [leafnode-list] newsq only as root?

Stefan Fleiter schrieb am Freitag, den 04. Januar 2002:

> In my opinion the newsq program must be installed setuid-root now and check
> for and print those postings from the user it was started as. Otherwise it
> can only be used by root and is pretty useless.
>
> What do you think?

"Works for me."

Something went wrong during your make install stage, my Makefile for
9.1pre contains these lines:

        $(INSTALL) -c -g news -m 2755 -o root $(STRIP) \
                  newsq $(INSTALLROOT)$(USRDIR)

Evidently, these are supposed to install newsq as setgid news which is
sufficient to get proper newsq functionality.

On my machine, newsq has proper permissions (SuSE Linux 7.3 here):

-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     news       242679 Jan  3 02:42 /usr/local/bin/newsq

Can you report details as to your current newsq permissions, your
operating system, which "INSTALL" your Makefile uses and what "make
install" writes on your console? Do you have multiple newsq executables
lying around in different components of your $PATH? What permissions
does your newsq have after another "make install"?