Re: [leafnode-list] Spam filtering + Wishlist

David Findlay wrote:
> Does leafnode have any capabilities to block spam?

Yes - check out the things about the "filter file" (that's how leafnode
calls it). Filtering is greatly improved in the 2.0b versions which are,
however, exactly that - beta.

> - When first viewing a newsgroup all headers are downloaded and sent to
>   client, instead of placeholder message.

The intention of a local news server is that you do not have to have an
online connection when reading groups. That is, if you look into a group
for the first time, you cannot download the headers in that very moment,
because you would have to start a connection to your upstream server(s)
and fetch headers. Second, not everybody wants to read articles in "header
first, bodies later" mode.

> - Ability to control which groups/hierarchies delaybody or not

This is also on our wishlist :-)

> - Spam filtering

See above.

> - Support for yEnc - http://www.yenc.org

As far as I get it, yEnc is still very much in a developmental stage
and will not reliably work over NNTP connection because it assumes
them to be 8-bit-safe; many NNTP connections will drop the 8th bit,
however. Therefore, leafnode will not support yEnc for the moment.

> - Option to set fetchnews so it won't download a new group that someone has
>   visited, unless it has been accessed on 3 days out of the last 5. The one
>   week delay till droping a group would stay the same. This would allow you
>   to sample a newsgroup to see if it's what you want, without it
>   automatically pulling it for the next week.

This is difficult to implement with the current method of how group
subscriptions are handled but may be worth a try in a future version.

FYI, the most active development of leafnode is currently not done by
me (due to an acute (?) lack of time) but Matthias Andree has fortunately
further developed the 2.0b versions of leafnode.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */