Re: [leafnode-list] Reading local spoled news without subscribing

Gerd-Christian Michalke wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I have subscribed several groups I followed. Now I do not want to follow
> them anymore. So I unsubscribed with my browser, deledetd the groups in
> /var/spool/news/interesting.groups. Obviously, I cannot read my news
> archive anymore.
>
> To do so, I have to resubscribe the news group in the browser, but
> reunsubscribe when I am running fetchnews. Is there a handier way to do
> that ?

and also delete some groups in the /var/spool/news/interesting.groups

A very simple fetch wrapper to solve your problem.
(Reading local spoled news without unsubscribing)

% cat fetch_wrapper
#!/bin/bash
# fetchnews wrapper
# problems:
# we want to read some groups as archive only or to prohibit some groups

cd /var/spool/news/interesting.groups

# remove groups in "interesting.groups" that are not downloaded for the
moment.
rm -fv group.one
rm -fv group.two
rm -fv fr.comp.*
# and so on...

exec /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews "$@"

You have to call systematically this wrapper instead of 'fetchnews'
.. and modify this file according your needs.