[leafnode-list] Server refuses connection

I am running version 2.0b8_ma9.  I have successfully downloaded a list of
newsgroups, but every time I try to subscribe using Knode, I get a message
"The server refused the connection."  I have just tried with tin, and got a
similar result: "failed to connect ..."  Tin being run from a terminal, says
that it is trying to connect to 127.0.0.1.

I have checked that the leafnode and xinetd services are enabled, and the
NNTPSERVER variable is O.K.  In xinetd, because it is an older version, I
have used the config file from the HTML FAQ, rather than the one suggested in
the README file.  It worked with Version 1.9.19.

Where else should I look?

Doug.