Re: [leafnode-list] upgrading experience

Robert <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I had a local.groups file without tabs before no complaint was made (hadn't
> got around to using it) but with the new version it objects, I tried
> deleting it (as the install quite rightly doesn't touch it) - bad move - as
> it has, as the syslog says - numerous times - a bad effect on
> performance...

Yes, killing the file causes the programs to re-read the active file
several times. Simply create an empty local.groups file to fix this.

touch /etc/leafnode/local.groups

should do.

> I first did a texpire -r
> and then fetchnews -f (assume this was the correct order - I didn't find
> this clear in the documentation), I have two newsservers and found that the
> first time it appeared to get the articles twice - once off each server -
> the next time I ran fetchnews sanity had been restored.

That's correct, however, did it really report it was downloading the
articles twice? Or was it only considering them twice?

> When I ran texpire -r it reported that 38000 approx articles had been
> deleted which was a little alarming, they're still there but I can't get at
> all(?) of then from my newsreader

Well, did you ever move or copy your news spool around? Restore a backup
(if so, what backup software did you use)?

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin