Re: [leafnode-list] upgrading experience

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:11:01AM +0100, Joerg Dietrich wrote:

> I'd prefer a little tool that does nothing but relinking of
> articles. Something that is only called by make update. This
> would save us a lot of bloat in the code. Code that will only be
> used once and then carried around forever.

FWIW this is how the Debian package handles upgrades of this nature -
it has little bits of shell script which incrementally upgrade the
files and directories on disk, applying each inter version change one at
a time.  I would prefer to continue doing that since it strikes me as a
vastly more robust approach to the problem.  You can verify each update
as it is performed and there is much less chance of bit rot.