[leafnode-list] Missing filter file causes segfault, and other issues

I've just switched back to the latest 2.0b8 ma version and I have to say it
looks great so far!  I noticed one small thing which may be of use.  My
config file specified a non-existant filter file, and this seems to cause a
segfault.

Another issue I am curious about is why does running configure and make as
root cause strange things to happen?  This confused me a lot until I saw the
warning about not doing it as root.  Up until I re-ran this sequence as a
non-root user, neither fetchnews nor texpire would read my config file
properly.

A final question I have:  is it possible to make news in local groups never
expire?

Thanks in advance!

John Carlyle-Clarke