Re: [leafnode-list] Missing filter file causes segfault, and other issues

John Carlyle-Clarke schrieb am Dienstag, den 29. Januar 2002:

> Another issue I am curious about is why does running configure and make as
> root cause strange things to happen?  This confused me a lot until I saw the
> warning about not doing it as root.  Up until I re-ran this sequence as a
> non-root user, neither fetchnews nor texpire would read my config file
> properly.

It does not necessarily make strange things happen, but why give it more
power than it needs? Neither configure nor build need anything done as
root, the only part which requires privileges is (usually) installing
into /usr/local (or wherever).

I should just kill configure off when it's run as root just to be sure
nobody shoots their feet.  :-)