Re: [leafnode-list] timeout connecting to (null) + Segmentation

Ralf Wildenhues <wildenhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> #3  0x804dfc9 in findgroup (name=0x806a65f "de.comm.software.newsreader") at activutil.c:183
> #4  0x805a808 in fixxover () at xoverutil.c:621

That's sufficient to figure what happens, however I'm not quite sure how
to fix this. I've currently added a workaround to fixxover to allow for
a graceful shutdown, but that's not proper.

Here's what happens:

fetchnews -f flag (forceactive <- 1) lets fetchnews ignore the existing
groupinfo file, and discard any relevant markers. When all servers are
unreachable, no active is present at the time that fetchnews tries to
update the overview files of the "interesting groups", assuming that no
groups outside the interesting groups are changed.

(I've not considered the implications of posting to 'uninteresting'
groups, I think the article will be routed, the group remain unsubscribe
and the next GROUP command will trigger the groupinfo update.)

Usually, without the -f flag, fetchnews regenerates a partial groupinfo
file for the interesting groups, but somehow this does not work in -f
mode.

Another pair of eyeballs to look at this problem is solicited.

> BTW:  Does your newsreader cut Subject: lines?

Oort Gnus v0.06? Not that I know of. I know that BeroList, the software
that drives the leafnode list, eats the folded part of the lines, and
I'd assume that Gnus folds lines longer than 76 characters in accordance
to RFC 2045 ... 2049.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin