Re: [leafnode-list] Error reporting when server not available

Jari Lehtonen <jari@xxxxxx> writes:

>   (02:42:25) backstreets:~$ telnet news.utu.fi nntp
>   Trying 130.232.1.14...
>   Connected to news.utu.fi.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   503 NNTP server unavailable. Try later.
>   Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> then leafnode reports something like this:
>
>   news.utu.fi: connecting to port nntp
>     trying address 130.232.1.14 port 119...
>     connected: address 130.232.1.14 port 119.
>   news.utu.fi: TCP send buffer size is 33304
>   NNTP server went away while waiting for response: Undefined error: 0
>   news.utu.fi: error, server replied to MODE READER: "??áÿü?"

> when, in my opinion, it should report the original error 503 to the log and
> finish gracefully. Or am I missing something?

No, you're right. I came across this a couple of days ago and fixed
fetchnews to report the original banner line ("503 NNTP server
unavailable [...]" in your case) to the log.

leafnode 2.0b8_ma10pre1 is fixed in this respect, but I haven't
announced that version because I am awaiting feedback on the MacOS X
compilability of 2.0b8_ma10pre1.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin