[leafnode-list] A new user's questions

We installed leafnode on a Mandrake Linux 8.1 box.  It works just fine!
Because we are in a remote location running solely on solar power we can not
run our computers 24/7, and our dialup connection sometimes dies while
fetchnews is runningwe find ourselves with two problems.

First, if we boot up after the scheduled start time in the rather standard
leafnote crontab we have to either wait for an hour or invoke fetchnews
manually.  Would using ip-up.local be a sensible solution and if so, are
there any special parameters we should use?

Second, if the dialup dies we are sometimes faced with this:
lockfile /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck exists, abort ...
I was wondering if using  ip-down local with a simple
rm /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck would suffice or if something more elegant is
in order???
--
Robin Lynn Frank