Re: Re: [leafnode-list] A new user's questions

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 07:51:28PM -0800, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
>
> > Second, if the dialup dies we are sometimes faced with this: lockfile
> > /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck exists, abort ... I was wondering if using
> > ip-down local with a simple rm /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck would
> > suffice or if something more elegant is in order???
>
> Killing all instances of fetchnews would be better.  You wouldn't want to
> remove the lock while leaving an instance hanging.  If killall is on your
> system try that.  Otherwise a little script that looks for the pid in the
> lock file.  Only if you detect no instance of fetchnews running should you
> remove the lock.

Be careful with killall. It does different things on different systems.
On Solaris killall will kill all processes on the system (normally
undesireable). On Linux systems killall kills processes by name which is
the result wanted here.

Regards
Arnold

--
The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
		-- Albert Einstein

Arnold Greyling
E-mail: greylina@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: +27  11 673 2628 Cell. +27 82 377 1836 Fax. +27 11 477 0527