Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode 2.0b8_ma10pre2 available

Jeff Grossman <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What is the opinion of this list and Matthias regarding the maxxprex
> versions?  I am currently using 2.0b8ma9 with great success.  Are the pre
> versions pretty stable also, or should I wait until they are out of the pre
> stages?

It depends. The current ma10pre2 is a bugfix edition over ma9, so it
should be as solid as ma9, with some bugs removed (Ralf Wildenhues and
his lclint/splint skills are a big help here at the moment) -- it's
always good to kill some bugs, then release and only then start to
experiment, so people have a good version to come back to when the
experimental versions fail.

Other ma*pre versions however may have received major internal revisions
and can be less stable, but I usually announce when subsystems change
and should be watched closely because I suspect they might fail.

For example, the *pre versions shortly after the switch to automake
suffered from build troubles on some systems (but I think these oddities
are ironed out now.)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin