Re: [leafnode-list] A new user's questions

In article <3C5E3441.BeroList-2.5.9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Arnold Greyling  <leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 07:51:28PM -0800, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>> remove the lock while leaving an instance hanging.  If killall is on your
>> system try that.  Otherwise a little script that looks for the pid in the
>
>Be careful with killall. It does different things on different systems.
>On Solaris killall will kill all processes on the system (normally
>undesireable). On Linux systems killall kills processes by name which is
>the result wanted here.

I've brought down more than a couple of Solaris boxes because I had gotten
so used to this Linux-ism.  :->

Depending on which version of kill you are using (the binary, not the shell
built-ins), you may be able to kill by name:

/bin/kill fetchnews

(There are two source packages that include kill, I believe util-linux and
one of the gnu packages.)

The skill program will also kill by name.  I'm not sure of the presence of
skill commands on other systems that might do similar bad things like
killall.  But, for now, I'd recommend using skill over killall.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/