Re: [leafnode-list] 2.08b: Unknown reply to XOVER command

I very much appreciate you taking so much time replying to to this query
Mr Andree.

On Tuesday 05 Feb 2002 9:30 am, you wrote:
> > [news@garcon stroller]$ /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -vvv
> > 2.0b8: verbosity level is 3
> > Trying to connect to news.eclipse.co.uk ... connected.
> > Getting new newsgroups from news.eclipse.co.uk
> > Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.eclipse.co.uk
> > uk.media.dvd: considering articles 36565-37924
> > Unknown reply to XHDR command: 211 27852 257036 292003 uk.media.dvd
> > comp.next: considering articles 128626-142505
> > Unknown reply to XHDR command: 211 3255 70494 75391 uk.comp.os.linux
> >
> > Is this an improvement..?
>
> No, regretfully, it's not. You're still seeing GROUP replies in response
> to the (now) XHDR command. I cannot contact that server, can you set
> debugmode=2 in your /etc/leafnode/config, remove preferxhdr=1 again and
> run fetchnews, then provide us with the log file please?

For sure. If this server is of interest to you as a developer, I can provide
an account for you on one of my boxen for you. I believe that telnetting to a
newserver can provide debug info, but it might also be possibe to enable
forwarding or routing of some sort for you.

The syslog is pretty long. It is at:
http://212.104.155.155/leafnode.list/debug.log.txt

> Please remove
> debugmode=2 after you ran fetchnews, because it will fill all your logs.

I noticed..!

> However, have you had any success pulling news?

Well, as you will see, I get feed from another server which works fine. I
would like to get from both, however.

>If news.eclipse.co.uk is
> your only news server and your current news spool is still empty because
> of these problems, I'd like you to try leafnode-2.0b8_ma10pre2...

After my original posting of last night, I had another flick thorough the
archive for this mailing list. I came across a an article which said
something like "Gee, 2.0b8, nobody reads bug reports for anything
pre-Matthias, anymore". I thought it sensible to try leafnode-2.0b8_ma9,
which your site lists as the latest stable.

Unfortunately, make fails on my system. I don't know if this is because I
don't have automake installed..?

Session log, copied & pasted from the terminal is at:
http://212.104.155.155/leafnode.list/compilation.txt