Re: [leafnode-list] 2.08b: Unknown reply to XOVER command

Stroller wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 Feb 2002 5:14 pm, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > Conclusion: ?after that, config.h does not represent the data collected
> > by configure any more. ?My guess: he copied the source files not keeping
> > the timestamps, config.h is empty or garbage...
>
> Why are the timestamps relevant..?

Make depends on it.  If a source file is newer than the target compiled
file, the make rule for compiling will be applied.  Thus if you change
configure.ac, configure will be rebuilt by autoconf.  But since users
should not have to have autoconf and m4 and all that stuff, a working
configure is usually packaged, as is in leafnode.

*snip*
> Yup. Whoops..! This does indeed seem to screw the dates on the leafnode
> source files.

Don't know a sure way to get by if you cannot use tar on the target
machine or compile on the other machine.  Maybe make sure no files have
modification times in the future and maybe touch stamp-h.in after
configure.  But I am really guessing here, not sure at all.

I'm sorry if my last message sounded offensive, I've had those kinds of
problems before.  Unfortunately, I didn't see your config.log, either,
before posting.

HTH Ralf