Re: [leafnode-list] Backtrace of hung fetchnews

Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This is fetchnews 1.9.18, with the patch I posted previously. fetchnews
> connected to cserver.vadim.com.pl, neither posted nor fetched anything,
> connected to news.mhogaming.com, and hung.
>
> #7  0x8052e56 in getaline (f=0x83b6ed0) at miscutil.c:698
> #8  0x804e85e in nntpreply () at nntputil.c:138
> #9  0x804ec0c in nntpconnect (upstream=0x8061b90) at nntputil.c:238
> #10 0x804e41a in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffcec) at ./fetchnews.c:1612

Looks like either the upstream server did not answer after accepting the
connection (may be caused by full or defective disk drives on their
site) or it disconnected but leafnode didn't notice.

Can you tell if that other server dropped the connection (check
"netstat" output) at that time? A "tethereal -s5000 -n host
news.mhogaming.com and port 119" (use tcpdump if you don't have
tethereal, same options IIRC) might also be useful, but make sure it
does not reveal your password should you need one.

You may need to give tcpdump/tethereal an option like "-i tun0" (FreeBSD
PPP e. g.) depending on your network configuration.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin