Re: [leafnode-list] Backtrace of hung fetchnews

On Friday 08 February 2002 20:52, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Looks like either the upstream server did not answer after accepting the
> connection (may be caused by full or defective disk drives on their
> site) or it disconnected but leafnode didn't notice.
>
> Can you tell if that other server dropped the connection (check
> "netstat" output) at that time? A "tethereal -s5000 -n host
> news.mhogaming.com and port 119" (use tcpdump if you don't have
> tethereal, same options IIRC) might also be useful, but make sure it
> does not reveal your password should you need one.
>
> You may need to give tcpdump/tethereal an option like "-i tun0" (FreeBSD
> PPP e. g.) depending on your network configuration.

I killed it and it's now running again and fetching tons of spewage that have
been spammed to alt.privacy.anon-server. I'll try tcpdump (where do I get
tethereal?) sometime when it hangs again (which it has done on other
servers). I'm using Linux, BTW, and the news spool is on a Reiser partition.

phma