Re: [leafnode-list] /var/spool/news/* permissions issue (more)

"Bulgrien, Kevin" <Kevin.Bulgrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> When you say that news can forward it, I presume that you mean I
> can "forward" it from the reader.  I think this affects the message
> author and time/date stamp headers, threading, etc.  If this is
> not what you mean, then I'd be very much interested in existing
> leafnode mechanisms to move articles.

True, so if that's no option, because you're sorting your archives or
something like that, then leafnode currently has no functions for that.

> I am not aware of how to do this through my reader.  (Company
> standard is ummm... Outlook Express).

That software is somewhat dumb when it comes to features...

>> If you need an own private directory for leafwa, go ahead,
>> that's fine, but please do use a dot in the file name, anywhere,
>> like /var/spool/news/leaf.wa or place your directory below
>> /var/spool/news/leaf.node. Upcoming changes to texpire might otherwise
>> wipe your directory. It's a trait of the newsgroup mapping that news
>> group directories will NEVER have a dot in their name, because that
>> newsgroup dot is converted to a slash, descending the directory
>> structure. So if you want something that texpire will not ever touch,
>> use a dot.
>
> Thank you very much for this bit of advice!  I would have had no idea
> about this...

Well, there is no hacker's documentation on leafnode, and writing one
before the code is stable would be futile.

GPG encrypted mail welcome, unless it's unsolicited commercial email.