[leafnode-list] leafnode very slow on first XOVER

I'm running leafnode 1.9.19, and I've noticed a curious problem: the first
invocation of XOVER on a very large group can take a *very* long time (five
or more minutes).

The problem is that my news reader (Xnews) gets a little unhappy, assumes
the server is not listening, and tries again.  And again.   And again...

I end up with umpteen copies of leafnode all running at once, each running
at maximum CPU!  If I kill all but one and let that one run to completion,
then all is well, and XOVER works immediately.

I presume that leafnode is doing work that fetchnews really ought to have
done.  Is there some way to change things so that I don't have this problem?