Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode 1.9.20.rc8 - server initialize failure

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:46:08AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> But I support Ralf's suggestion that you need to configure an fqdn, it's
> described in README, seciont "UPDATE FROM VERSIONS < 1.9.20", item #2.

Well, I didn't expect such a big change, so I didn't read it. Now that I've
read it, I can't say that the description is very explicit. It doesn't say
that it only works if you have a FQDN.

> However, I just figured that leafnode programs would not log this
> condition, so grepping the logs will lead you nowhere, just running
> /usr/local/sbin/leafnode would hint you.

It did, but I thought that this couldn't be the problem since it worked with
1.9.19.

> Oh, BTW, just adding a domain to localhost will not work. Obtain an
> FQDN, there are plenty of FQDN sites that offer an FQDN for free
> available.

I've sent a mail to my provider. Hopefully they know what a FQDN is :)

> See the Message-ID FAQ that you can find with Google.

The problem with those faqs is, that they tell you that you need one, but
not why you need one. I thought that since my postings receive a message-id
from my provider, that ensures that those message-ids are unique. That's the
whole point of the FQDN, isn't it?

--
"Menschenrechte sind solche Regeln z.B. oder die Tatsache, daß man bestimmte
Dinge (Kindersex, Ausländerhaß) nicht tut, weil sie sich nicht bewährt haben."