Re: [leafnode-list] fqdn validation

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Or maybe leafnode should default to using "oemcomputer" for the canonical
> > name.

> No, leafnode should not [...]

I was joking.

> > I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Generally, I'm not sure
> > to what extent leafnode should try to work around the fact that lots
> > of users don't configure their systems properly.
>
> It is supposed to catch these cases, complain and refuse to work. That's
> all.

That is very reasonable.

> > We also have to realize that leafnode will be used on "private" networks,
> > and so the conventions to ensure uniqueness of names won't work. [...]

> People MUST use a proper domain, see the pertinent Message-ID
> FAQs.

Could you point me to these?  I've now searched and couldn't find the
those FAQs.

> There are many free domain forwarders, Message-ID domains, ISPs offer
> unique domain names even though they don't map, news.cis.dfn.de offers
> this,

I wasn't aware of most of this.

> so there's really enough choice to get a FQDN. Remember, we don't
> need DNS, we only need to make sure the domain is unique.

Of course.

You will probably note that the MID of my mail and news postings don't
meet the appropriate criteria, but are extremely unlikely to clash. I
would like to fix this, but still want something that works well on my
internal network.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/