Re: [leafnode-list] fqdn validation

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:36:18PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> I don't want to surprise new users who lurk at first and have then
> leafnode refuse work when they first post two weeks later, so I'm
> checking all the time. This saves us any "cannot post" support hassles,
> and it's easy to detect and to fix. No questions asked.

Instead you're getting pointless "can't start" support issues that are
solving problems that don't exist with many clients.  It would at least
be useful to improve the diagnostic message to explain what the problem
is a bit more clearly.

Another approach would be to drop the check and form the message ID
based on the domain used in the From: address in the message.  This is
the approach most systems that want to come up with a message ID but
can't get a hostname seem to use and ought to be effective enough.