[leafnode-list] duplicate articles in local group

I have an email list gatewayed to a local group and every now and then I
get problems with duplicate articles:

store: duplicate article <<000501c1e895$f254a810$f66631ce@OEMCOMPUTER>>
Could not store /var/spool/news/in.coming/1970-1019483263-1: duplicate

The message stays in in.coming and so the message repeats next time I run
fetchnews... I eventually get bored and delete the files from in.coming, is
there a better way for me to do it? Should leaf node remove files from the
incoming queue after x failures?

Robert Marshall