[leafnode-list] Filtering outgoing news

<x-flowed>
Apologies if this is asked often, but I haven't been able to find
anything through Google and the list archive.
Is there any way to apply an external filtering script or program to
outgoing messages?
The reason for wanting to do this is an attempt to implement the TMDA
spam filtering system at server level, which needs to change the From:
line on messages before they are posted...
One possible method I have seen is to run something each time before
fetchnews is run, which munges everything in news/out.going... but I
can't help thinking that there must be a better way!
Thanks for any help

--
How did I know the B1 was an airplane? I thought it was vitamins for the
troops.                          -Ronald Reagan