Re: [leafnode-list] can not access leafnode from another system

* Johnny Rollerfeet wrote on Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:42:11AM CEST:
> I'm sure this is a newbie question, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

Read the INSTALL file.

> I can access leafnode locally, but when I try to access it from a windows
> machine on the same network, I get no response.  I can telnet into the server
> just fine, but when I try to telnet into port 119, I get this:
>
>   C:\>telnet 192.168.1.102 119
>   Connecting To 192.168.1.102...Could not open a connection to host on port 119
> :
*snip*
>   #
>   # hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
>   #               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
>   #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
>   #
>   nntp: ALL
    ^^^^
That should be leafnode, not nntp, as mentionend in the INSTALL file.

> Also, can I configure leafnode to work with username/password access or is it
> always wide open?

leafnode-1.9.x does not employ authinfo, so you are encouraged to change
the settings  in hosts.{allow,deny} to something restrictive  or look at
xinetd.  leafnode-2.beta so far  has authinfo simple,  but I would still
recommend [x]inetd protection nonetheless, since user names and passwords
are sent unencrypted.

HTH&HAND
Ralf