Re: [leafnode-list] Strange unprecedented subscription

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:32:24PM -0500, Theodore Heise wrote:
> Is it possible you have port 119 open?  I set up leafnode with open
> access for a distant friend, and it wasn't more than three days before
> somebody unknown to me had decided to help themselves.  I first
> noticed it because an unfamiliar group had appeared in
> interesting.groups.

I once did that by mistake.  When I first set up leafnode, I was a good
boy and blocked off port 119.  A few months later, I rebooted the machine
after doing some maintenance - and I'd forgotten to put the new packet
filtering rule into the startup scripts.  Within a day, some Estonian
student had filled my disk by subbing to some *really* icky alt groups.

Like alt.binaries.pictures.female.bodyhair.

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

          All praise the Sun God
          For He is a Fun God