Re: [leafnode-list] Strange unprecedented subscription

John Schrader <jschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I don't know a solution, and I have never seen anything like that,
> but just as a hint: please look at the list of groups in the file
> /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo: is '24hoursupport' the *first*
> entry in that file?

Take Ralf's gentle words, and these shall be even more clear, not to be
misunderstood, I'll put an official end to this "subscription issue" for
now.

Until today:

- NOBODY who reported this problem filed his report against
  leafnode 1.9.20 or later.

- NOBODY could show any logs that would give any hint on HOW the group
  was subscribed to (which command; like finding the client that issued
  the XOVER or HEAD or ARTICLE that read the pseudoarticle), OTOH, no
  session logs have been provided that could show leafnode subscribed to
  the group without client commands.

- NOBODY who reported this problem ever proved that his access
  configuration (by means of tcpd and hosts.allow) was water-tight and
  could prove that his leafnode was not accessed by foreigners.

So, take this official word:

RALF AND I CANNOT FIND ANY BUG WITH RESPECT TO BOGUS IMPLICIT
SUBSCRIPTION TO THE FIRST GROUP IN THE GROUPINFO FILE WITH THE
INFORMATION GIVEN TO US.

If you are somebody who can reproduce that your installation subscribes
you to the first group in the active file, such as
24hoursupport.helpdesk, please follow the "DEBUGGING" instructions in
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/leafnode-readme.txt, produce a
debug log and show it to me, or ralf, should I not respond in due time.

(If the log is large, gzip or bzip2 it and give advance warning.)

We absolutely must know:
* what leafnode version you are running
* what your inetd.conf, xinetd.conf or tcpserver lines that start
  leafnode look like, for tcpserver what the rules file looks like
* what your hosts.allow/.deny look like
* what leafnode program was running when leafnode subscribed you
* what news reader (WITH VERSION) you are using, along with its
  configuration (blank your passwords)

Until we get all this information, we will not be able to debug things.

Sorry, harsh words, but without YOUR help we won't even look at this
issue again. I tried with KNode 0.6.1, Ralf also tried, at no avail.