RE: [leafnode-list] can not access leafnode from another system

Then read ALL the supplied files.  Well, I can't vouch for 1.9.22,
but 2.0b8ma* DOES supply this information in the DOCS for a fact.

> This isn't mentioned in the INSTALL file, but then again the
> INSTALL file
> wasn't written for RedHat 7.3 (actually I think it's 7.2 or
> later) because
> it doesn't explain how to handle xinetd.conf.  Is there
> something else in
> the configuration with RedHat 7.3 that I have to do?

Try README...

And I copy and paste:

   12. Choose either of these alternatives:
          + Alternative #1: If your system uses inetd (most commercial
            unices, *BSD). Edit /etc/inetd.conf so that
            $(BINDIR)/leafnode is executed for incoming NNTP connections.
            Here is my inetd.conf line:
nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/local/sbin/leafnode
            Note: some systems install tcpd to a different path, but it's
            uncommon. Change the first path accordingly if your tcpd
            resides in /usr/etc or /usr/lbin. After these changes, force
            inetd to read the changed configuration file by sending it
            the HANGUP signal. To achieve this, issue the following
            command (as root):
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
          + Alternative #2: If your system has xinetd instead. Add this
            to your xinetd.conf (this example assumes xinetd 2.3.3 or
            newer):
service nntp
{
        flags           = NAMEINARGS NOLIBWRAP
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        server          = /usr/sbin/tcpd
        server_args     = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
        instances       = 7
        per_source      = 3
}
            Then send xinetd an USR2 signal to make it reread its
            configuration. See the xinetd.conf(5) manual page for
            details. Note: some systems install tcpd to a different path,
            but it's uncommon. Change the first path accordingly if your
            tcpd resides in /usr/etc or /usr/lbin.
   13. Write the following into /etc/hosts.deny:
leafnode: ALL
       and into /etc/hosts.allow:
leafnode: 127.0.0.1
       to protect your news server from abuse. If you want to make
       leafnode accessible to additional IP numbers/domains, add them in
       /etc/hosts.allow in the format described above. See
       hosts_access(5) and hosts_options(5) (if applicable) for more
       information about tcp wrappers.
   14. (optional) If you want to allow read-only access, you can set the
       NOPOSTING environment variable, for example, put this into
       /etc/hosts.allow:
leafnode: 192.168.0.4: setenv NOPOSTING "You may only read."
       The contents of this variable are printed at the end of the
       banner, with control characters (as per iscntrl(3)) replaced by an
       underscore.

--

Kevin R. Bulgrien, Engineer
Mailto:kbulgrien@xxxxxxxx

Vertex RSI, A TriPoint Global Company         http://www.tripointglobal.com/
Controls & Structures Division
1915 Harrison Road                                    Tel: 903-295-1480 x288
Longview, TX 75604-5438