Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews in parallel?

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:24:39AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> That would indeed be nice to have, but currently, servers must still be
> queried sequentially, even in leafnode 2.x. There are two and a half
> places in the leafnode spool that require this:

> I'm not sure if multi-threading could help us here or bring us there
> faster than multi-process can (fork()) -- only that I'm not really
> acquainted with threads.

Without going to threads, would it be possible to use some select()
magic to talk to several servers at once in the same process?

> Therefore, I cannot promise leafnode 2.0.0.rel will have this feature as
> it is released (talk about the future...), because I cannot defer
> leafnode 2.0.0.rel ad infinitum. Sorry.

Oh sure, something like this, even using select() would require fairly
major re-working of fetchnews's core.

--
David Cantrell | david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

    Usenet is a co-operative venture, backed by nasty people.
    Follow the standards.
      -- Chris Rovers, in the Monastery