RE: [leafnode-list] fetchnews in parallel?

> > Thrashing contention is considerable.
>
> I don't get the meaning here :( You mean data corruption? or loss of
> articles?

Thrashing can mean this:

Hard drive heads can only be in one place at a time...  If all four of
your pipes are physically located, say, one to the center, one to the
outside edge, and two scattered in the middle of a platter surface, the
heads spend more time travelling back and forth than they do reading or
writing.  You would probably hear the drive chattering away in this
scenario.

Of course for this to be truly a problem, the incoming data
would have to be coming in faster than the drive can handle.

The concept is the same for other data transfer constructs.  You
can thrash many different kinds of resources that are shared between
multiple tasks.  If a single task is the traffic signal for all
similar operations, then an inordinately large number of sub-tasks
can stuff up the works in much the same way as automobiles get
stuffed up at intersections during rush hour.

---
Kevin R. Bulgrien, Engineer
Mailto:kbulgrien@xxxxxxxx

Vertex RSI, A TriPoint Global Company         http://www.tripointglobal.com/
Controls & Structures Division
1915 Harrison Road                                    Tel: 903-295-1480 x288
Longview, TX 75604-5438                               Fax: 903-295-1479