Re: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

I have been through this.  I have successfully installed a fresh hostname,
but it had to be done twice:

1) by editing /etc/hosts.  Change the second appearance of "localhost" to the
first word of your new hostname.

2) by changing the hostname with linuxconfig.  Matthias was surprised that
both steps were necessary, and I don't know the reason, only that one or the
other was insufficient.   My distro is Mandrake 8.2.

I too am using a dialup connection with dynamic allocation of IP address.  I
have had no problem with this.

HTH,

Doug.