Re: RE: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bulgrien, Kevin" <Kevin.Bulgrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:03:41 -0500
Subject: RE: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

I guess I should have said... this whole line of reasoning is based on the
fact that I, and maybe most leafnode users might probably only be fiddling
with a news server as a hobby activity, or to share news with one or more
personal computers.

I grant that if I am trying to use a news server for any kind of serious
use on large networks, it is more understandable that one should actually
expect to have to work out FQDN issues more, ummmm, carefully.

---
Kevin R. Bulgrien, Engineer
Mailto:kbulgrien@xxxxxxxx

There is something you are failing to account for, though.  As soon as you try to post to a news server (which is when the Message IDs are created if I understand it right) you are no longer just a member of your own "small hobby network".  You become come a member of the Internet.  Other applications do have requirements for unique FQDN also if they are interacting with Internet services.  An example I just came up against myself is that you can't send an SMTP e-mail to any rr.com address unless your E-mail headers have a VALID FQDN (which is one step more than just a FQDN that Leafnode is asking for).  If you don't then your will get SMTP reject messages and your mail will not go though.

And as discussed when the whole FQDN requirement was added, getting a domain name isn't that difficult.  There are a number of free "Dynamic DNS" services that will give you a name (for example "whooper.dnip.net" "whooperdnsq.org").  And once you decide to go a little further actually registering a Domain name with e-mail forwarding and web hosting isn't that expensive anymore (my sister just registered a domain for $15/year).

Hope that helps put the issue in perspective.

William Hooper