RE: RE: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

Okay.  But I did account for that, since my prior message talked
about how to avoid picking a name that might collide with a read
one.

Then in the help file, add that as a fourth choice and mention
that free FQDN's are available as another option...  If being
generous, list a few providers known at the time of writing...

Still, at home I use my AT&T POP for e-mail because I don't keep a
continuous connection to the internet and don't want mail bouncing
if I go on vacation for a month.  I doubt that my situation is so
unique.  With news its either available longer, or, it won't affect
me seriously if I miss a week or two...

Whereas I can see using a local news server for caching issues, it is
harder for me to justify using a local mail server that attaches to
the internet without both a registered domain name and a server that
regularly gets on the net.  In other words, I don't think its so far
fetched for someone to use leafnode - and that be the only service
that needs an FQDN...

I'm learning too.  Maybe its just as well I learn more by getting a
free FQDN.  It just seems that the complaints on the list show that
there might be times when it was okay to fudge if you did so
carefully...

Sometimes I think engineers and developers try to protect themselves
from users so much that they piss everyone off that might otherwise
like what they designed.  Many times it does matter.  Sometimes the
engineer could relax a tad and nobody would die or be injured in a
serious way...  If it really were _that_ important, why wouldn't
the server do a lookup at least once when it was connected to
the net?  I still say nobody has said anything except that
the message ID must be unique...   Honestly, its not that
hard to be 99.99999% sure you are unique if you look at
the statistics involved.

Maybe I'm all wet...  Well, anyway, that was my two cents.  I don't
have a bone to pick with leafnode since I won't use it this way.
I just wondered if we were dealing with two different extremes
that could be moderated if a middle ground were found.

---
Kevin R. Bulgrien, Engineer
Mailto:kbulgrien@xxxxxxxx

Vertex RSI, A TriPoint Global Company         http://www.tripointglobal.com/
Controls & Structures Division
1915 Harrison Road                                    Tel: 903-295-1480 x288
Longview, TX 75604-5438                               Fax: 903-295-1479