RE: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Michael O'Quinn" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: RE: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Bulgrien, Kevin wrote:
[snip]

O.K.

If I take my NEWSREADER, and point it at my ISP's news server, I can read and post messages all day long.  It doesn't matter if I have an FQDN, it doesn't matter if I use dial up, DSL, Cable, or the good old universitie's FDDI/Ethernet.
[snip]
That fact should not prevent leafnode from being able to act just like any
other newsreader the majority of circumstances.  When posting news, simply
make it behave just like any other "regular" newsreader.
[snip]
Michael O'Quinn
-----
To quote leafnode.org:
  "Leafnode is the NNTP server. It talks to the normal news clients, and stores readership data."

You are comparing apples and oranges.  If you want a news reader check out GNUS, GRN, Knews, or any of the other 20+ NNTP readers that I got doing a search on Freshmeat.  Leafnode is a news SERVER.  Servers need to follow the RFC's or they wouldn't be able to interoperate with each other.

I would say that Matthias and Ralf have argued their case and it makes sense.  Ultimately the issue is going to come down to they maintain the code.  If you don't like needing a FQDN either change the code yourself or find another project that does what you want it to.

Thank you Matthias and Ralf for continuing to develop Leafnode.  I personally find it a very useful program.

PS - Matthias I just looked at the mailing list archive and your "some more documentation online" message is just showing up as a "msg.pgp" attachment.  I assumed when I saw it in my inbox that it was just Outlook Express messing it up, but it appears the archive software doesn't like it either.

--
William Hooper