Re: [leafnode-list] What the hell is that?

* William Hooper wrote on Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 10:17:24PM CEST:
*snip and reformat*
> To quote leafnode.org:
>   "Leafnode is the NNTP server. It talks to the normal news clients,
>   and stores readership data."
>
> You are comparing apples and oranges.  If you want a news reader check
> out GNUS, GRN, Knews, or any of the other 20+ NNTP readers that I got
> doing a search on Freshmeat.  Leafnode is a news SERVER.  Servers need
> to follow the RFC's or they wouldn't be able to interoperate with each
> other.

That is the reason leafnode has to provide a Message-ID.  If leafnode
wouldn't, you would post duplicates, even if you had one upstream only.
Duplicates annoy many people around usenet and get your account
cancelled quickly (yes that has happened before).  Not talking
personally to you, William, or anyone else taking part in this
discussion.

A couple of points which might not yet be said (sorry if I missed
someone writing this or am repeating myself):

As for news only (not mail), the FQDN used for Message-ID generation
does _not_ have to be DNS-resolvable to you.  It just has to be unique.

There are several (non-news-server even) places where you can get such a
name /for free/.  For news, I have such a free FQDN myself.  A friend
with a domain could give you a subdomain just for your news server.

The other thing that cropped up somewhere in this discussion was DNS
resolving and letting hosts from local nets connect only.  There have
been too many complaints about leafnode subscribing to unwanted groups,
_some_ of which definitely are because the server was wide open and
unprotected.  This is not leafnode's fault but has hurt its reputation.
So for all who know what they do and are able to read, they can turn
this off.  For the others it should not pose a problem.

Hope that helps,
Ralf