[leafnode-list] FQDN advice sought

I've been following the FQDN discussions and have come to accept that I've
done things wrong.  However, I am having difficultly seeing how I can do
things right without going to a great deal more effort.  But I assume (and
hope) that I have overlooked something simple and obvious.  There isn't
anything in here that is specifically a leafnode question, but more a
private networking naming policy query.

I own (well, "lease") goldmark.org. Everything in goldmark.org that
resolves in hosted by the hosting company I use (he.net). At home, where I
post mail and news from, I have a small network behind a cable-router. My
IP address the local cable company is dynamically assigned.

I have set up a home network on 192.168.1.0/24, with its own name server
(bind, unreachable from the outside world) authoritative for
goldmark.private

Leafnode is running on news.goldmark.private (192.168.1.20) (also
unreachable from the outside world, both blocked by the router and
tcpd.)

Now the clients running on this net all put in message IDs, of the form

  blah-blah-blah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The problem is that while it is unlikely that there will be a collision, I
haven't ruled it out.  I don't have exclusive rights to "goldberk.private"
just to goldmark.org.

Now I don't want to try to sync my local private network DNS data with
with what my hosting company has.

Now when I started writing this message, I didn't see a proper solution.
But now it seems that the proper solution is to reconfigure my private
network to use

   private.goldmark.org

and so have

  news.private.goldmark.org
  foo.private.goldmark.org
  etc

and set up my local name server to be authoritative for
private.goldmark.org, but not for goldmark.org. This way the clients will
identify themselves as foo.private.goldmark.org and I'll get good MIDs.

Does this seem like the right way to go?  Does anyone antipate problems
with this?  Are there conventions tha people use other than "private"?  (I
might want something shorter).

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/