Re: [leafnode-list] FQDN advice sought

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:

>   The disadvantage is: it won't take you any further, as other software
>   will still use an invalid (i. e. non-unique) domain name to generate
>   Message-IDs.

This is actually my problem.  The MIDs on my network are all being
generated by the clients and not by leafnode.  If it were being done by
leafnode I would simply configure leafnode to use the RHS as

   for-posting.goldmark.org

and all would be fine.  But since the clients are generating MIDs, nothing
in leafnode's configuration will help.

But I need to configure my system so that all clients pick up something in

  *.goldmark.org

yet the particular hosts that the clients run on are on a private network.
The hosts on the private network do need to resolve on and only on that
network.

> As a note to all those who consider downgrading to 1.9.19: You're not
> solving any problem, but resurrecting dozens of old problems. If now
> leafnode 1.9.24 complains about your hostname, your setup is wrong and
> probably has always been, just nobody has told you, and leafnode is now
> the first software to tell you. DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

I concur.  MIDs of xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx are a bad thing.  I am
pleased that leafnode developers are working to prevent them.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/