[leafnode-list] Leafnode reads active file, but no news in newsreader

Leafnode woes.

What I have done so far:

1) Downloaded the latest version and installed it as root on my SuSE 7.3 box,
using the traditional configure/make/make install methodology. No errors.

2) Configured the files as the instructions from SuSE have indicated I should:

	/etc/rconfig.conf: set nntp server to localhost (Tried the machine name
also)
	/etc/leafnode: set the server in config to my nntp upstream host
	/etc/inetd.conf; made sure identd used /usr/sbin/leafnode for nntp

3) I then restarted inetd; ie: rcinetd restart;
	and ran SuSEconfig, (which actiavtes all new settings in /etc related
files, etc, just to make sure all the settings and such were flagged.

4) I ran "fetchnews -vvv" and was able to read the active file from the
upstream server into /var/spool/news/leafnode and was
able to confirm there was a group-list file as well as a file bearing the name
of the upstream server, I checked the size of the group-list file and it was
3.9 MB, and in checking the list it seemed complete, aaa-zzz, etc.

This is where the confusion begins: I have a confirmed group-list file where
the SuSE documentation for leafnode, admitted limited but pretty
straightforward, says it should be but....

I have tried without sucess to get groups/articles into the newsreader and have
tried multiple newsreaders including knode, knews, xrn and mozilla. All but
Knode give a connection refused error, Knode gives connection refused,
operation in progess, and seems to be trying to load groups, but after letting
this run for 30 minutes I ahve nothing, a reading of the active file from the
upstream through a direct connection never takes longer than ten minutes via
modem.

When I looked in the news.err log file  in /var/log/news (I think),
	the error given was, connection
refused, /var/spool/news/leaf.node/group-list, no such file or directory

as I stated, I have confirmed it is there and contains the actual group names.
Is this a matter of permissions related conflict, or something else? The
permissions on the file (group-list) itself, are user/groups set to "news", but
would this prevent root from being able to use the file.

I could use some advice here.

Thanks