Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode reads active file, but no news in newsreader

Quoting Cornelius Krasel <krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> festus@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > 1) Downloaded the latest version and installed it as root on my SuSE
> 7.3
> > box, using the traditional configure/make/make install methodology.
>
> This would suggest you installed it in /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/sbin,
> but ...
>
> > 2) Configured the files as the instructions from SuSE have indicated
> > should:
> >
> > 	/etc/rconfig.conf: set nntp server to localhost (Tried the machine
> > 	name also)
> > 	/etc/leafnode: set the server in config to my nntp upstream host
> > 	/etc/inetd.conf; made sure identd used /usr/sbin/leafnode for nntp
>
> .. the inetd is looking for leafnode in /usr/sbin.
>
> > I have tried without sucess to get groups/articles into the
> newsreader
> > and have tried multiple newsreaders including knode, knews, xrn and
> > mozilla.
>
> Please check out http://www.leafnode.org/faq.html#3. I presume that
> your
> problem lies in paragraphs 2 or 3 of this FAQ (i.e. the inetd is
> running
> but something refuses the connection). It is worthwhile to run a
> "telnet localhost 119" and report what happens.
>
> --Cornelius.

I did try this, when I telneted to "localhost" 119, it initially refused
connecttion, then retried and connected, when I tried with the computer
name "bob" 119, it connected the first time. Does this make a difference? It
did seem to connect, once the first time, the second using just "localhost"