Re: [leafnode-list] Multiple NNTPHOST sources

on 7/30/02 8:13 AM, Mike Graham at mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I just finished getting Leafnode up and running under  Mandrake 8.2.
> Previously I used slrnpull, but I had heard that leafnode had the
> capability to deal with multiple sources much more smoothly than
> slrnpull could.
> I haven't finished testing, but the issue that I have is that I don't
> get different groups from different sources, rather I try to get the
> same groups from all sources.  The reason for this is because my
> primary ISP is often missing posts, whereas I have access to another
> system which is *quite* good at having all of the posts, but sometimes
> isn't available.  So what I want to do is have fetchmail get whatever
> posts it can from whatever source it can.
> I'm not sure whether leafnode can handle this.
> It would certainly be fair enough if it didn't - it's asking a lot, I
> know.
> My very-preliminary testing seems to indicate that I'll get posts
> repeated if it gets them from multiple hosts.  I *could* be seeing
> hiccups rather than true repeats...
>
> Is anyone else running a system like this?
>
> I am the only user of the system - just a half-dozen text newsgroups.

Leafnode will try and and fetch articles from each server which has the
newsgroups you are subscribed to.  It will not download the same article
between servers.  It uses the message-id field to figure out if it already
has the specified article.

Leafnode should do exactly what you want.  Are you seeing duplicate posts?
If so, there is a problem somewhere.

Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman (jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)