Re: [leafnode-list] chgrp problems under Red Hat 7.2

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 00:59, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Kenneth Porter wrote on Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 05:31:32AM CEST:
> > Running leafnode-2.0-20020715a. (I had to tweak the spec file a bit to
> > get it to build.) I've got everything running ok now, I think.
>
> Fine.  Note there are a few known quirks in that snapshot, namely some
> clients won't see a pseudo article in new groups, a couple of race
> conditions have been identified.  As Matthias is not around at the
> moment, I could release a new version, but would do so only if serious
> problems showed up.

I've played with it a bit using Xnews, and the only hitch is that I
normally set Xnews to hide empty groups. I have to turn that off when
adding a new group and browse the group once to kick the machinery.
Otherwise it sees zero articles in the new group when updating all new
article counts, doesn't request the header for the seed article, and so
fetchnews never starts pulling that group.

> Weird, cannot reproduce.  I'd have to look into this.  Any nonstandard
> kernel stuff (SEL e.g.) you have installed?  Did you use
> --with-runas-user?  gid 13 is news is primary group of user news, right?
> The --with-runas-group is bogus and broken, configure just picks the
> primary group of RUNAS_USER.  This needs to be ripped out of the spec
> file, I guess.

Yep, news is user 9, group 13. Stock 7.2 kernel from the updates,
2.4.9-21. The only odd thing that might contribute is that I built it on
my 7.3 system (much beefier) so maybe I'm getting some glibc
incompatibility. I'll try rebuilding it on the system it runs on.

> You could do that; just remember to put a dot into the path component
> after $SPOOLDIR.  Or create /var/lock/news belonging to news.news,
> that's the default.

That sounds better. I'll just create /var/lock/news in the spec file
with appropriate ownership.

(BTW, the reason I installed leafnode was to share a passworded news
account without having to give out the password to the underlying ISP
account.)