Re: [leafnode-list] Multiple NNTPHOST sources

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 11:28 pm, you wrote:

> Back when I was in in a similar situatuation, I put simply put a call
> to fetchnews in my ppp up script and a call to fetchnews -P in my
> down script.

  That would work.  Another user put me onto 'sudo', and that's what
I've got going on right now, so as my 'normal' user I can run fetchnews
with no problems, and with my particular posting style, it works well
for me.  Thanks for the suggestion - I'll keep it in mind.

> That sucks.  Well in that case you will have to call fetchnews with a
> different configuration file upon dial-up.  Again, you can have
> little scripts run at dial-up and and "dial-down" time.

  You're not kidding.  What I've done, actually, is just put both
servers in the one file.  It tries to connect to both, but only
connects to whatever one I'm dialed into.  At least I don't have to
juggle configs.  So I dial into UUNet, run 'fetch', go grab a drink,
get back, hang up UUNet, dial sprint, run 'fetch' and that gets
whatever UUNet may have missed, and leaves me set up to do my e-mail,
and I can do all of the uploading to Sprint with no trouble, so I don't
have to dial into UUNet again until the next time I'm downloading.  So
it's still a great improvement over slrnpull, where I had UUNet for
news and Sprint just for e-mail, so I couldn't access e-mail while
doing my news, and you wouldn't believe how annoying that can be at
times.  Anyway, progress is progress!  Thanks.